Darwin Streaming Server - Ubuntu 6.06 (Dapper Drake)

Recently I have decided that Microsoft may not be the be-all-end all to technology and have begun exploring the "darker" side of the world. (That would be the Linux side.) Ok, so darker may not be the right idea to convey but anyway, its the side that the average PC user does not get to work with often.

I am building up my second install of Ubuntu 6.06 (Hard drive crash on the old one kind of blew things away for me. Arrg) and I realized it would be really cool to have a streaming server running on my computer, so I decided to do some looking to find out if anyone had gotten Darwin to run with Ubuntu. I found one post that described some problems that one user had.

The trick to getting it to install and run correctly is to understand that the commands in the Install shell script do not actually create the qtss user and associated group account properly. The parameter "-M" that is in that file is invalid for Ubuntu's version of "adduser" and so that fails. What you can do is before you run the Install script, you can create the user yourself using either the commandline tools or the visual tools from the System -> Administration -> Users and Groups menu in Ubuntu.

Also, make sure that your user (qtss) has appropriate security configured so that it can read the files that you are going to stream.

And finally, what I did to get the streamingadminserver.pl running correctly is to use "sudo su - qtss" to get a shell running as the "qtss" user and then run the script, which ensured that it was started under that users privilege.

Unfortunately no one has stepped up to the plate to create an Ubuntu installer package for this application and hence there is no /etc/init.d/darwin script to control the server. Mabye I will make that if I get to feeling adventurous with bash.

Ok, so this was a little long but hopefully it will help you get Darwin Streaming Server installed on your Ubuntu Server today.